headerheaderheaderheader
photo

Thursday, November 8, 2007

The Inner Critic Battle

Ever hear yourself say, "Who do I think I am to call myself a writer?" If so, that's your inner critic. I've heard phrases like this in my mind more times than I care to count.

So how can you and I fight off the inner critic and write? Here are some ways to deal with the voice of doubt and defeat:

Remember all the people who have said, "You are a writer."

Reflect back on your previously published articles or books. Even rejection letters prove you write. Okay, maybe I am a writer.

Read comments on your blog, if you have one. Mine reminds me that I am making a difference. Even if I'm not getting paid for it, I love knowing I encourage others.

Renew your commitment to grow in your writing ability. Read, read, read. Read books or magazines on writing, read the newspaper, read fiction, read biographies. Read what you love to write. If you write devotions, you should be reading them.

Research possible new markets for your writing. Challenge the current angle you're taking on an idea. If you've received repeated rejections, consider tweaking your approach.

Recognize these thoughts are normal. May I repeat that? Normal.

Return to your computer and write. If you cannot not write, then you are a writer, regardless of the voices you hear.

Writing takes commitment and peseverance. The road is long, but the journey is full of wonder and adventure. Ready to join me? There's room on the road for you.

I know Beth would agree.

***Don't forget about our Let's Give This Blog Started Giveaway. All comments until the 15th will be part of our drawing. ***

2 comments:

Linda Harris said...

I once read a book (I wish I could remember the title) that said our inner voices are like islands. The main island is the "editor" voice inside of us. But there are lots of other voices sending delegates to the editor island. If we can just edit out those voices that hold us back, let the creative voices have their reign, and then bring them all together with the editor voice, we can find the truth.

Beth K. Vogt said...

Funny story--although I wasn't laughing at the time.
I was having a rough writing day. I thought, "Who am I to think I can write a book?!"
The reality was, I WAS writing a book. I had a book contract, so a publisher believed I could write a book too!!
It was a bad day, that's all.
On days like that, sometimes I walk away from the computer and allow myself a day (or two) off. But I always go back to writing.
I cannot NOT write.
I am a writer.
Even when the voice in my head tells me otherwise.
And--this is where a supportive, encouraging writers group is invaluable. One that believes in you on the days you don't.

Blog Archive