Ever hear yourself say, "Who do I think I am to call myself a writer?" If so, that's your inner critic. I've heard phrases like this in my mind more times than I care to count.
So how can you and I fight off the inner critic and write? Here are some ways to deal with the voice of doubt and defeat:
Remember all the people who have said, "You are a writer."
Reflect back on your previously published articles or books. Even rejection letters prove you write. Okay, maybe I am a writer.
Read comments on your blog, if you have one. Mine reminds me that I am making a difference. Even if I'm not getting paid for it, I love knowing I encourage others.
Renew your commitment to grow in your writing ability. Read, read, read. Read books or magazines on writing, read the newspaper, read fiction, read biographies. Read what you love to write. If you write devotions, you should be reading them.
Research possible new markets for your writing. Challenge the current angle you're taking on an idea. If you've received repeated rejections, consider tweaking your approach.
Recognize these thoughts are normal. May I repeat that? Normal.
Return to your computer and write. If you cannot not write, then you are a writer, regardless of the voices you hear.
Writing takes commitment and peseverance. The road is long, but the journey is full of wonder and adventure. Ready to join me? There's room on the road for you.
I know Beth would agree.
***Don't forget about our Let's Give This Blog Started Giveaway. All comments until the 15th will be part of our drawing. ***
- ► 2010 (128)
- ► 2009 (162)
- ► 2008 (209)
- So, What Did You Do This Year?
- Highlighting a New Writers Blog
- Punting This Post
- Networking Matters
- A Book Just For the Fun of It
- If a Picture is Worth a Thousand Words #4
- Trends Change
- Reasons to be a Writer--the Short List
- A Thanksgiving Wish
- Writer Montage
- One Thing Every Writer Must Have
- Let's Get This Blog Started Contest-Part 2
- If a Picture is Worth a Thousand Words # 3
- And The Winner Is:
- Here's a Thought
- Thinking Out Loud
- A List Worth Keeping: Top 55 Reference Websites
- Recommended Reading
- If a Picture's Worth a Thousand Words 2
- How Can I Get Noticed?
- Who is a Writer?
- The Inner Critic Battle
- Blog of the Week: The Answer Man
- Tips on Working With Editors
- Talking About Books
- If a Picture is Worth a Thousand Words . . .
- Why Blah, Blah, Blog?
- Quote for the Week of November 2, 2007
- ▼ November (29)