headerheaderheaderheader
photo

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

One Thing Every Writer Must Have

Do you ever find the writing process draining? Or do you enjoy every rewrite and rejection?

If you're like me, you mumble, "It's not worth it," certain days. So what can you do to get over the hump of discouragement? For me, it's been one thing. And that is having a cheerleader. Someone who believes in my writing, someone who encourages me, someone who challenges me to grow in the craft. Dare I credit Beth on our blog? Sorry I must.

Because of Beth, I'm a published writer. I've finished the Christian Writers Guild course. She comforted me when I wanted to quit. We've attended four writing conferences together now. Beth came along early in my writing journey. She was farther along the writing road than me. I felt intimidated, yet Beth took time to meet with me and train me. She was my mentor. And her support has made all the difference.

I still go through my doubts about once a year. Beth patiently listens and then speaks words of motivation to me. I ponder her words, shed a tear, and start again. Writing, rewriting, submitting and waiting.

It's a writer's life.

Who's your cheerleader? Do you have one?

***Don't forget to post a comment to enter our giveaway. See Monday's post for details.***

7 comments:

Beth K. Vogt said...

I'm speechless.
And a little teary-eyed.
And I did not pay Tiffany to write that post.
:O)
Truth be told, Tiffany and I cheer each other on along the writing road. We "happy dance" when an article is accepted. We mope with one another when we get a rejection. And then we link arms and get at it again.
That's how you make progress along the writing road.
Thanks, Tiffany.

Anonymous said...

Yep, my mom. She even taught me to read.

-Melissa Donovan
Writing FORWARD

First Baptist Church of Mary Esther said...

EVERYONE needs a cheerleader - not just writers!!

lornadoone said...

My business partner Tamara is my cheer leader, and I'm hers. We've been known to send emails to one another that say nothing more than "we rock!" We really complement each other's styles and interests, and it makes for a great working relationship and a great friendship.

elizabeth said...

That's wonderful that you and Beth encourage each other like that!

Do I have a cheerleader that's also a fellow writer, and therefore knows firsthand what it's like to struggle with doubts? I used to have one of those, but he and I broke up. Lesson learned: don't date your cheerleader! Unless you can easily find a new one, that is.

Beth K. Vogt said...

I agree, everyone needs cheerleaders! And I like the idea of sending people brief "You Rock!" e-mails.
:O)
I tried to find both loreea and lorna doone, but no luck.
Had fun at Melissa's web site! Check it out!

Tea with Tiffany said...

Good to see fellow writers commenting. Glad most of you have a cheerleader.

If you don't have one, I hope Beth and I can be one for you. We love to encourage.

You all rock!

Blog Archive