After attending a writers conference, I feel both encouraged and discouraged. Encouraged because I met other writers, learned a few things, and heard positive feedback from editors. Discouraged because of the fierce competition. I remember one editor saying she needs 365 devotions each year and she receives about 2500 submissions. Sounds like tough odds to me.
So, how can I stand out among the crowd? How can I make sure my article or book proposal gets a second read through?
Here's some basics I try to remember when I write:
*Prefer the simple word to the fancy.
*Avoid adverbs. Use adjectives sparingly.Oops, there's an adverb.
*Use strong action verbs and nouns.
*Research what I'm writing about, if needed. An author loses credibility if he is writing about a person with Parkinson's Disease if he doesn't know about the current treatment options or how the disease affects the body.
*Submit only my best work. The most frequent complaint I've heard at conferences from publishers is writers send in sloppy work.
***Don't forget about our Let's Give This Blog Started Giveaway. All comments until the 15th will be part of our drawing. ***
- ► 2010 (128)
- ► 2009 (162)
- ► 2008 (209)
- So, What Did You Do This Year?
- Highlighting a New Writers Blog
- Punting This Post
- Networking Matters
- A Book Just For the Fun of It
- If a Picture is Worth a Thousand Words #4
- Trends Change
- Reasons to be a Writer--the Short List
- A Thanksgiving Wish
- Writer Montage
- One Thing Every Writer Must Have
- Let's Get This Blog Started Contest-Part 2
- If a Picture is Worth a Thousand Words # 3
- And The Winner Is:
- Here's a Thought
- Thinking Out Loud
- A List Worth Keeping: Top 55 Reference Websites
- Recommended Reading
- If a Picture's Worth a Thousand Words 2
- How Can I Get Noticed?
- Who is a Writer?
- The Inner Critic Battle
- Blog of the Week: The Answer Man
- Tips on Working With Editors
- Talking About Books
- If a Picture is Worth a Thousand Words . . .
- Why Blah, Blah, Blog?
- Quote for the Week of November 2, 2007
- ▼ November (29)