headerheaderheaderheader
photo

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Impressions

"Write what you know."

As writers we've all heard this. Or this one: "Write your passion." And if your passion is books, your first step is creating a book proposal. I've walked through the process with Beth's book, but haven't actually tried to write one yet. Article and devotional writing seem easier. Like most writers, I have book ideas. I even own proposal writing books. But intimidation stops me from starting. Can't I just write my book and skip that process? Nope. Every published book started with a proposal or a query.

So where do you start? I recommend checking online with the publishers you are considering. Often times they have sample fiction and non-fiction proposals. Or purchase a book or read articles about proposals. Try "googling" this topic.

You know the phrase, "You never have a second chance to make a first impression" Well, your proposal is your first impression. Make it your best work. Do the necessary prep work. And you may just get a reply, "Send me more."

**Two more days until our drawing! Post a comment to enter. Read previous post for link and details.**

5 comments:

Rachelle said...

"Can't I just write my book and skip that process?" Ah, yes, the question we all ask. I admit, book proposal writing can be tedious. But you'd be amazed how much it teaches you about YOUR book! Press on, Tiffany.

Tea with Tiffany said...

Thanks, Rachelle, for the encouragement. I might just have to dive into the process of writing a proposal and discover more about my idea/s.

I want a clear purpose and vision. Sounds like this is the next step.

Beth K. Vogt said...

Lots of books out there about writing a proposal.
I used Terry Whalin's Book Proposals That Sell. At the time, it was an e-book. Now it is a "real" book, available at Amazon and other regular publishers.
I went through his book step by step. When I was done, I felt like I had a strong, thorough proposal. The book was pretty dog-eared, though.

Heather said...

I've written the proposal and been rejected; now, it's on to the next step: Perseverance! First impressions are important, but so are second and third and fourth impressions! :)

Tea with Tiffany said...

Heather, good reminder about second and third impressions. Never give up on the dream.

Beth, I'm curious to peek at your book. I have one by Writers Digest.

Blog Archive