"Write what you know."
As writers we've all heard this. Or this one: "Write your passion." And if your passion is books, your first step is creating a book proposal. I've walked through the process with Beth's book, but haven't actually tried to write one yet. Article and devotional writing seem easier. Like most writers, I have book ideas. I even own proposal writing books. But intimidation stops me from starting. Can't I just write my book and skip that process? Nope. Every published book started with a proposal or a query.
So where do you start? I recommend checking online with the publishers you are considering. Often times they have sample fiction and non-fiction proposals. Or purchase a book or read articles about proposals. Try "googling" this topic.
You know the phrase, "You never have a second chance to make a first impression" Well, your proposal is your first impression. Make it your best work. Do the necessary prep work. And you may just get a reply, "Send me more."
**Two more days until our drawing! Post a comment to enter. Read previous post for link and details.**
- ► 2010 (128)
- ► 2009 (162)
- ► 2008 (209)
- So, What Did You Do This Year?
- Highlighting a New Writers Blog
- Punting This Post
- Networking Matters
- A Book Just For the Fun of It
- If a Picture is Worth a Thousand Words #4
- Trends Change
- Reasons to be a Writer--the Short List
- A Thanksgiving Wish
- Writer Montage
- One Thing Every Writer Must Have
- Let's Get This Blog Started Contest-Part 2
- If a Picture is Worth a Thousand Words # 3
- And The Winner Is:
- Here's a Thought
- Thinking Out Loud
- A List Worth Keeping: Top 55 Reference Websites
- Recommended Reading
- If a Picture's Worth a Thousand Words 2
- How Can I Get Noticed?
- Who is a Writer?
- The Inner Critic Battle
- Blog of the Week: The Answer Man
- Tips on Working With Editors
- Talking About Books
- If a Picture is Worth a Thousand Words . . .
- Why Blah, Blah, Blog?
- Quote for the Week of November 2, 2007
- ▼ November (29)