headerheaderheaderheader
photo

Monday, November 5, 2007

Talking About Books

Monday got away from me! I know it's only midday, but I usually like to post earlier than this. Oh, well. The blogosphere is a fairly forgiving world. And I'll offer myself some grace today and be flexible with my "book" post.

If you're like me, you have a teetering, tottering To Be Read Pile. I'll tell you what's in my pile, if you tell me what's in yours. Of course, this means I have to check out the pile on my desk and the pile by my chair and the pile by my bed and the pile in the bathroom . . .

Without further ado: Beth's To Be Read Pile
  • Splitting Harriet by Tamara Leigh (Actually, I finished reading this, but now I need to review it for this blog. I guess I need to start a To Be Reviewed Pile! Spoiler: I loved it!)
  • Speak Through the Wind by Allison Pittman
  • God is in the Small Stuff at Christmas by Bruce and Stan
  • Blacktop Cowboys by Ty Phillips
  • Wisdom of Our Fathers by Tim Russert
  • You're Only Young Twice: 10 Do-Overs to Reawakan Your Spirit by Ronda Beaman (I just may move this up to the top of my pile!)
  • Heard for the First Time by Susan D. Miller
  • A Walk with Jane Austen by Lori Smith
  • Alone in Marriage by Susie Larson (This is really the next book I am reading! Not because I need to, but because I know Susie and because this book is doing well right now.)
  • 90 Minutes in Heaven by Don Piper

There's one more book on fatherhood, but I left it in my car, which is now at the mechanics. Ugh. I will tell you that I love the cover of the book. That saying, "Don't judge a book by its cover?" You know it's not true! We all do just that! We look at the cover, then we flip the book over and scan the back cover copy real quick to see if it catches our interest. If it does, then we open the book and skim the first couple of pages. And, if we like what we see--cover, back cover, first couple of pages--we buy the book.

So, what's in your To Be Read Pile?




Remember: Join in the Let's Get This Blog Started Giveaway! Comment on blog posts through November 15th and you may win The Writer's Ultimate Resource Guide 2008

7 comments:

elizabeth said...

I have too many to list them all by memory right now, but the next one on my list is The Way of the Heart by Henri Nouwen.

I've read 90 Minutes in Heaven. It's good!

Beth K. Vogt said...

I read Nouwen's Life of the Beloved and thought I should read it once a year. It was so profound!

Susan Skitt said...

TNTC (As we would say in the old days when I worked in a medical lab, Too Numerous to Count!)

However, I just finished Colleen Coble's suspense thriller entitled "Abomination". Great read in that genre.

HStrang said...

Love this post!

OK - in my book pile:
Anatomy of the Spirit - Caroline Myss
Alexander McCall Smith detective book
Teaching to Transgress - bell hooks
The Orchid Thief
The Ten Commitments

That's all that comes to mind right now.

When you get a chance, check out my writing blog - with tips on creating a weekly artist date. Let me know your artist date of choice.

Cheers,
Heather
http://heatherstrang.blogspot.com

Linda Harris said...

I've got a pile of library books and a pile of books I own. The library books get read first--because they've got due dates!

In the library pile, I'm reading Plug Your Book! by Steve Weber. Other books are The Writer's Journey by Christopher Vogler, The Pilgrim's Progress, and If You Want to Write by Brenda Ueland. I've seen this last one recommended so many times, I figured I'd better read it.

The pile of books I own consists of at least 25 books (as well as other piles in other places). So I won't list them all. Here are the five at the top of the pile that happens to be right beside the chair where I'm sitting--how convenient!
The Divine Drama by Kurt Bruner
Gripped by the Greatness of God by James McDonald
Finding Favor with the King by Tommy Tenney
Satisfy My Thirsty Soul by Linda Dillow
A Busy Woman's Guide to Prayer by Cheri Fuller
This just happens to be the order they're in now. The order changes frequently and doesn't mean they will be the first ones read!
My most recent purchase is Help Your Twenty-Something Get a Life ... and Get It Now. We've got two twenty-somethings living at home.

Karen F said...

What book’s are in my To Read pile? Well my days are full and my nights, well, I sleep! I am a wife, mom and full time student. I don’t know how to find the time to read for pleasure. I’m still trying to get through “How to talk so my kids will listen.” This effort has been going on since my oldest and middle son’s were as young as their little brother. Now my two oldest children have reached adulthood (ages 27 and 24) and my youngest son is an awesome 3 year old. It really is true that “Baby changes everything!” I never thought I would be blessed with becoming a mom again at 44. Well now my priority is “Family first”, and I find myself feeling guilty because many things go undone. I hid some clean dishes the other day so I would not use more and have to wash dishes more often for lack of clean dishes! Paper plates prove to be a cop out. Sometimes I get overwhelmed and forget my mantra, “Don’t sweat the small stuff, (and its all small stuff). What I am really craving is some “Love and respect”, because I have spent too much time failing at being a “Co-dependant no more.” I must get back to hanging out with “Safe people” and ask them to help me make healthy “Boundaries.” Well I see I have been a blog hog! By for now. Keep reading and keep blogging! Karen

Karen F said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Blog Archive