I edit Connections, which is a leadership magazine put out by MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) International.
I like editing. This is a good thing, since I've read each issue at least a dozen times before it goes to print. When I'm on deadline, I'm not laughing when I catch a mistake. I'm usually heaving a huge sigh of relief that a misspelling or grammar error didn't sneak by my editorial eye.
Yesterday I visited one of my favorite writers' Web sites: Visual Thesaurus. The site is just what it says it is: a visual take on a thesaurus. When you type in a word, they map out different words that mean the same thing. It's so colorful--kinda' like mindmapping.
But I digress.
The site highlighted an interview with Editorial Emergency, an agency that provides branding, copwriting and non-profit messaging.
As I was strolling through the site, I saw a link labeled "Our Customers." Then I saw a link labeled "Not Our Customers." And that's the section that got me laughing. It's 23 pages of mistakes. Spelling errors. Grammar errors. On signs. In newspapers. Advertisements that make you shake your head and think, "How did someone not catch that?"
If you're an editor or writer, you know it happens. You're just glad when it happens to someone else.
- ► 2010 (128)
- ► 2009 (162)
- Another Take on Thomas Nelson's Decisions
- Finding Good in Bad News
- Interview with Author Dianne Butts
- 12 Self-Editing Tips for Beginners
- Don't forget the fun
- Writing Critique Group Synergy
- Wishing for the good old writing days--or not
- Do You Write to Impress or Express?
- One More Thing About Editors--For This Week, Anywa...
- When An Editor Says, “I’m Baaaack!”
- A Thought and a Correction
- Writing for Dollars
- Getting to Know Them--You're Characters, That Is
- Locate Hard-to-Find Books
- Tickling the Editorial Funny Bone
- Books: Writing and Research Buddies
- Call for Submissions: Cup of Comfort
- When Scholars Disagree
- Doing Nothing May Be Doing Something
- The Pain and Glory of Writing
- Book Suggestion: Reading Between the Lines by Rick...
- Dip Your Pen Into Your Soul
- ▼ April (23)