headerheaderheaderheader
photo

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

A Thought and a Correction

"More than a half, maybe as much as two-thirds of my life as a writer is rewriting. I wouldn't say I have a talent that's special. It strikes me that I have an unusual kind of stamina." ~John Irving, author





Rewriting is worth it.

There. That's my brilliant thought for the day.

Type those four words in the biggest, boldest, most eye-catching font you can devise and then post it so you'll see it whenever you are writing.

Yesterday was a wonderful writing day for me. I got an e-mail from an editor accepting one of my articles. In large font, she wrote, "YES!" And then she wrote: The article works.

The sentence could have been: The article works at last!

I would tell you how many times I rewrote that article, but I'm not sure I want to take time to count. Lots of times. Dozens.

Towards the end, I confess I was a bit weary of the rewriting process. But after I slogged through it again--with the ever-faithful presence of my writers group--I could see how the article improved.

And now I have an article slated for publication.

Was the rewriting worth it?

YES!





Correction from Scoti's post on locating hard-to-find books:

Jeffrey Ball with Dove Booksellers contacted me to give me the updated information for his store:

Dove Booksellers

9219 Allen Rd

Allen Park, MI 49101

313-381-1000

1 comment:

Tea with Tiffany said...

YEAH!!!

I'm happy it was a big YES!

Blog Archive