headerheaderheaderheader
photo

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Don't forget the fun

Remember when writing was fun?
No?
Maybe it's time to push away from your computer, get out of your office, ignore that deadline--and go find some fun.
What's the well-worn saying?
"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."
Beth's paraphrase: All work and no play makes Beth a bored and boring writer.
When all the fun disappeared out of my writing world, I walked away from my Word documents and did some other things. I read. I relaxed. I napped. I had coffee with friends--only I drank tea. And yes, I even groused that writing wasn't fun. About the only thing I did related to writing was editing my critique group's submissions. And I even did that with a very light red pen. They probably loved me for that.
When I did sit down to write again, I decided to write just for the fun of it. I tried something completely out of the ordinary for me. Not on deadline. Not for pay. Not for possible future publication.
Just for fun.
It's been my most refreshing time along the writing road in months.
What I've written may never have a byline posted on it and be labeled "real" writing. But it's served an extremely valuable purpose.
It's made me want to write again.
Not because I have to.
Not because I should.
But because I want to see what happens next.
I'm writing just for the fun of it--and sometimes that is the best reason of all to write.


No comments:

Blog Archive