headerheaderheaderheader
photo

Friday, October 30, 2009

Reminder: Have fun with words and donate to a good cause at FreeRice.com




I forgot about FreeRice.com until my daughter's third grade teacher used the site as a homework assignment. As part of her grammar homework, Christa had to go to the Web site and answer questions like:

Which is correct?
He left it over their.
He left it over there.


Her correct answers helped fill a virtual bowl with grains of rice.For each correct answer you get right, FreeRice.com donates 10 grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Program.

It'd been a while--too long--since I'd visited the Web site. I thought all you could do was answer vocabulary questions. Still a lot of fun for a writer/editor like me. But grammar? Also a good option.

I clicked on the "Change Subjects" tab and found you can try your skill at all sorts of topics: art, chemistry, geography--even math. Yep, I even tried my hand at multiplication and filled a bowl up!!

FreeRice is a non-profit site run by the United Nations World Food Program. Our partner is the Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University.

FreeRice has two goals:

1. Provide education to everyone for free.
2. Help end world hunger by providing rice to hungry people for free.

No comments: