I'm sitting in a smaller than average hotel room enjoying a bit of vacation. It's work for my husband and vacation for me and my two daughters.
Except I brought my writing along with me.
So it doesn't feel exactly like a vacation.
So far today I've plotted out my Work in Progress, letting my twentysomething daughter get in on the process. She's good at it. Of course, I don't know how the book's going to end: happily ever after or mostly-happily ever after? And I'm okay with that little plot question for now.
I've also worked on my assignments doled out by my mentor who is helping me build my author platform. (Rob, if you are reading this post, I hope my work ethic impresses you.) So I've drafted out three online articles and read three chapters in a book.
I updated my late-in-life mom blog and visited a few others to research this post.
And in the midst of this vacation-work, I have come to a conclusion:
I am ready for a real vacation.
I'm traveling the Writing Road and I'm looking for an off-ramp. Not in a desperate "I hate my life" way. No. I just realize it's time for a little R&R.
I'll be a better writer for it.
Writing is too much work and not enough relaxed creativity right now. I am writing and editing because I must, not because I want to.
Sometimes it is more fun to write just because I want to.
In a couple of weeks, I am blessed with a real vacation. Just me, my husband and a beach. I will take no writing assignments with me. No have-tos. I will abandon the Writing Road--for a season--and be a better writer for it.
- ► 2010 (128)
- ► 2009 (162)
- Fiction Book Contest for Children’s Writers
- King Story Adapted as Made-for-Mobile Video
- Tools Poets Can Use: Poetry Markets
- Tools Poets Can Use: Poetry Contests
- Tools Poets Can Use: Support and Feedback
- Planning a Detour Off the Writing Road
- Throw Overused Words Under the Bus
- Borders Audiobook Downloads
- Your Writing Platform: The Heart of Your Writing
- Have Fun With Words--I Mean, Wordle!
- Avoid Clichés Like the Plague
- Book Review: Wiser Than Serpents by Susan May Warr...
- Do Writer’s Need to Copyright Their Writing?
- Writers' Contest: Clarity of Night
- Tools You Can Use: Rhyming Dictionaries
- Happy Fourth of July!
- What Do You Call a Group of Critters?
- Build Your Author Platform: Wildfire Marketing
- Write Tight: One Secret of Impressive Writing
- ▼ July (19)