headerheaderheaderheader
photo

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Everybody's Talking About It: ACFW Memories



The 2010 ACFW conference in Indianapolis ended last Sunday night--and I'm still trying to catch up on all my lost sleep! From the time I met up with my roomie, Roxanne, in the Denver airport, until we hugged goodbye four days later, life was all about friends and writing and friends and writing and friends--with occasional meals, where I ate with friends and talked about writing.

Yes, I attended workshops and heard some insightful comments, like author Tim Downs' definition of a writer: "Writers need to be weird. They need a computer, a printer, and a whole lot of paper."
And while his comment that a writer lives in an alternate universe that resembles the manuscript you're working on made me laugh, he also challenged me when he said that we experience life as story.
"Story is inherently spiritual," he said," and heaven is the place where God will tell you your story."





To be honest, I came away with very few notes--and a whole lot of memories tucked in my heart. I had the chance to encourage other writers, as well as being motivated by watching other writers pursue their dreams. I met online friends face to face and shared hugs and laughs and prayers that will get me through the "it's just me and my computer" times.

We often talk about the expense of getting to a writers conference. But when I look at the photos of my friends . . . when I think of our late-night chats . . . the times we gathered together and prayed for one another before we went off to pitch our books . . . how we celebrated our lives as writers . . .

well, times like that are priceless.

5 comments:

Lisa Jordan said...

Hands down, this was the best conference yet. Being surrounded by the Ps secured this past weekend in my heart forever. The way God answered prayers and opened doors keeps me in awe. So blessed.

Beth K. Vogt said...

I went to ACFW once before to hang with Roxanne--didn't care about the whole "writing fiction" aspect. This year I cared, but the people were still the more important facet of the weekend.

Unknown said...

Your post is all so true...just love those memories!!! You're right...people are what made the conference special. I just loved every moment!!

dtopliff said...

This is so refreshing and from the hearts, you need to have MILLIONS of readers. (Well, I will cheer worth the voices of MILLIONS of readers, and send that much love, too. So glad to have been there and part!

Roxanne Sherwood said...

This is exactly what I wanted to say about my experience at ACFW, only you said it first because I didn't make time to write it on Wednesday. Great job, Beth!

I had a fabulous time at the conference. I have the best and most supportive writer friends!