“We often refuse to accept an idea merely because the tone of voice in which it has been expressed is unsympathetic to us.”—Friedrich Nietzsche
Just like Spell Check…but for Tone
The Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 2006 revealed that studies show e-mail messages are interpreted incorrectly 50% of the time. ToneCheck™, an e-mail plug-in, flags sentences with words or phrases that may convey unintended emotion or tone, then helps you re-write them.
Tone influences what we say to communicate the right message. However, when we write, our tone leaves room for misunderstanding. ToneCheck™, an emotional spell-check, is an add-in for Microsoft Outlook How can a writer can use this to critique an article? Copy and paste your article into an email.
- Avoid wasted time editing.
- Prevent unnecessary conflict.
- Bypass sending passive aggressive emails.
- Works like the spell check.
- Gauges words and phrases against eight levels of connotative feeling.
- Identifies the emotional definition of words and phrases to improve the clarity.
- Provides suggestions to tone down or ‘lighten’ potentially rude or emotionally-charged sentences.
- Allows writers to make real-time corrections.
- Provides an easy-to-use menu system to adjust tone.
- Works in Microsoft Outlook.
- Will soon expand to facilitate users of Gmail, Thunderbird, and Mail.app.
- FREE and downloadable.