“There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."—William Somerset Maugham
Even if you don’t know the three rules for writing a great novel, yWriter, a FREE downloadable word processor, helps you organize your novel writing. Developed by an experienced programmer and published author, yWriter breaks your novel into chapters and scenes.
The word count target feature allows you to set a word count goal, plus the date you’d like to reach your word count objective. It tracks your progress, showing how much you’ve written, plus how many words you still need to write.
- Organizes your novel using a 'project'
- Stores all scenes in RTF files, which can be edited with a regular word processor
- Sets font style and size, plus bold, italics and underline
- Adds chapters to the project
- Adds scenes, characters, items, and locations
- Displays the word count for every file in the project, along with a total
- Tracks your progress
- Saves a log file every day, showing words per file and the total
- Saves automatic backups at user-specified intervals
- Allows multiple scenes within chapters
- Viewpoints character, goal, conflict, and outcome fields for each scene
- Storyboard view shows a visual layout of your work
- Re-orders scenes within chapters
- Drags and drops chapters, scenes, characters, items, and locations
- Renumbers chapters automatically.