Friday, September 4, 2009
I love a good romance, but I almost passed Coming Attractions off to my daughter, Amy, and asked her to do this blog post.
Don't get me wrong. I'm a long-time fan of Robin Jones Gunn. But when I realized Coming Attractions was about Katie Weldon, a fun and funny twenty-something, I thought: Really? What can a mom of four get out of a book like this? I mean, three of my children are twenty-somethings ... topped off with my rambunctious 8-year-old. But that's another blog post.
Reading Robin's book was all about learning the lesson "Don't judge a book by it's cover." I needed to ignore the cute college girl adorning the cover, dive in--and discover the truths waiting for me hidden in the guise of all things Katie Weldon. Truths about choosing to be a victim of grace instead of a victim of evil. And the reality that loving God with abandon means coming to love myself and my life -- loving my story at a heart level.
When I finished the book at 12:30 AM, I sent Robin an e-mail, ending with this thought:
Thank you for writing Coming Attractions. I'm a writer too--and sometimes when I write, I try to imagine the face of just one person who I am writing to. You may not have imagined the face of a mom four when you wrote Coming Attractions ... but God works in funny ways, doesn't he?
Find a list of other bloggers who are talking about Coming Attractions here.
Robin Jones Gunn Facebook Page
- ► 2010 (128)
- Setting Goals -- Reach for the Stars
- FREE Novel Writing Software
- The writing life is a solitary life--Not!
- National Punctuation Day®
- Blog Tour: Morning Coffee with James
- Author Interview with Jean Blackmer
- Roxanne's off to ACFW!
- Christa hanging with me at a booksigning for Bab...
- One Click (Re)Searching
- Book Review: Coming Attractions by Robin Jones Gun...
- Young Writer Sticks to Facts . . . and More
- Writer Mama Back to School Giveaway
- ▼ September (12)
- ► 2008 (209)