headerheaderheaderheader
photo

Friday, January 9, 2009

The Word for 2009 & Information on Clarity of Night's Writing Contest

by Beth K. Vogt



My New Year's tradition continues in 2009.

In my first blog post in 2008, I shared how I don't do New Year's resolutions.

Why?

After too many years of making and breaking an annual list of wills and won'ts, I found something I like a lot better.

I focus on a word for the year.
I still remember my 2006 word: gratitude. My word for 2007 was simplify. Last year's word was content.

One word. Simple. Easy to remember and stay focused on for 365 days. Maybe it isn't that surprising that a writer like me--a wordsmith--likes focusing on a word for the year.

So, now it's 2009, and yes, I have a word. It's forgiveness. Truth be told, I think this is going to be a tough word to live out--but if I embrace the concept, I think 2009 will be a life-changing year.

If anybody else cares to crumple up their list of resolutions and pick a word for 2009 instead, consider this blog post an invitation to join me. I always found I lost my list by February anyway--but it's hard to forget a single word.

***
Clarity of Night is hosting another short fiction contest to start the year off!
Here's a brief description of the rules. Go to the website for complete information and to see what prizes you could win!

Using a photo provided on the blog for inspiration, compose a short fiction (or poetry) piece of no more than 250 words in any genre or style. Send your entry to me by email at jevanswriter at yahoo dot com before 11:00 p.m., Wednesday, January 14th (Eastern Time, United States). I'd prefer attachments formatted in Microsoft Word or Word Perfect (please see the format request below), but if you have something more exotic, you can paste the text into the body of an email. Each entry will be posted and indexed.

No comments: