headerheaderheaderheader
photo

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Up First: NaNoWriMo Blog

If it's Wednesday, I must be writing about blogs. (I checked the list just to make sure! Yep, Wednesdays=blogs!)

I wondered which blog to highlight first. I have my favorite blogs. A number of my writing buddies blog. I could just google "writing blogs" and come up with a great list and go through it alphabetically. But I decided to go with NaNoWriMo Blog because right now NaNoWriMo is a hot topic in the writing world.

NaNoWriMo is writer-speak for National Novel Writing Month. What is that, you ask? Here's what the Web site powers that be say:




National Novel Writing Month is a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to novel writing. Participants begin writing November 1. The goal is to write a 175-page (50,000-word) novel by midnight, November 30.

Valuing enthusiasm and perseverance over painstaking craft, NaNoWriMo is a novel-writing program for everyone who has thought fleetingly about writing a novel but has been scared away by the time and effort involved.

Because of the limited writing window, the ONLY thing that matters in NaNoWriMo is output. It's all about quantity, not quality. The kamikaze approach forces you to lower your expectations, take risks, and write on the fly.


So, are you up to the challenge? Check out the Web site and the blog. Let your inner fiction writer run free during November with the help of NaNoWriMo. I'll let you know if I decide to dabble in the world of antagonists and protagonists and plots and settings and dialogue!

And I did the math for you (with my husband's help): There are 30 days in November. If you're aiming for the NaNoWriMo goal of 50,000 words, you need to write approximately 1,666 words per day.

No comments: