headerheaderheaderheader
photo

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Looking for Old Wives’ Tales or Superstitions to Weave into your Fiction?

“I cannot tell how the truth may be; I say the tale as 'twas said to me.”—Walter Scott

Fiction and wives’ tales, what a perfect marriage. Both not real, but both tell a story. Does your novel feature the local neighborhood gossip that takes a shred of truth and twists it so out of shape that reality is no longer recognizable?

Help her pass on superstitious folklore, bizarre beliefs, taboos, omens, plus good and bad luck in all seriousness and concern.

From birth to marriage to death, the websites below offer interesting stories and ideas.

Birthmarks

Superstitions A–Z

More old wives’ tales from A–Z


2 comments:

Carla Gade said...

Cool! I love weaving superstitions and old wives tales into my stories. Makes it fun and authentic. How silly we humans are!

Scoti Springfield Domeij said...

Carla, I received the most wives' tales when I was pregnant. At the time I was a pastor's wife in a large church and now I wish I'd kept a list of all the gems people shared.