headerheaderheaderheader
photo

Friday, September 18, 2009

Author Interview with Jean Blackmer







Jean Blackmer's newest book is Boy-sterous Living: Celebrating Your Loud and Rowdy Life with Sons .

As the only female in a house with three sons, a husband, and two male dogs, Jean has learned a lot about living with boys. She knows that as a mom it isn't always easy to communicate and connect with these creatures of noise and energy. Everyday, they force you to live in a world where bugs are cool, safety is an afterthought, and "talking is torture."






Read on to learn about Jean's journey along The Writing Road:

How did you get started on the Writing Road?

I received my undergrad and master’s degrees in Journalism and worked in that field for awhile. Then I started free-lance writing after my first son was born. I love writing and felt this was a good time in my life to pursue that and to be able to do something from home while I had little kids. Now I work for MOPS International as the publishing manager and actually work in an office 20 hours a week with lots of women! I love it!


Who has helped you along the Writing Road?

Carol Kuykendall has been a writing mentor for me and I can’t thank her enough. I’ve done some Guideposts writer’s workshops and the input from those editors and other writers has been invaluable. Also, my husband, Zane and my three boys, have helped me tremendously as they have endured me during my writing deadlines and have provided great material for me to write about.



What obstacles have you had along the Writing Road?

With limited time to write, I’ve had to learn to get into the writing mode quickly. Also dealing with rejections is always hard. I’ve had to not give up and that attitude of perseverance has paid off. One of my editors quoted Winston Churchill in regards to writing and said, “Never, never, never, give up!” It’s good advice.


What's next for you on the Writing Road?

Definitely a book for moms. It will probably be similar to Boy-sterous Living, in that it will have loads of humor but will also touch a chord on a topic all moms can relate to in life. Can’t tell you yet what it is, (top secret :O)) but I’m really excited about it.

1 comment:

Jean Blackmer said...

Thanks for the interview Beth! Cheers to living loud and loving our boys.

Jean

www.jeanblackmer.blogspot.com